Sunday, March 20, 2011

It never rains...

Taking a breather from two hard weeks of slogging - this time with plenty to show for it. Got an essay on teleportation done for Philosophy and another on Early Welsh Poetry finished this afternoon, so only English to go. I don't count the weekly Spanish essays as they are part and parcel of life now. Prepared and gave a presentation with two of my English tutorial class last week as well - a great way to prepare an exam question!

As if all the book-work wasn't enough, have been lucky enough to get myself an 'Intercambio' - a mature student from Spain to meet up with so we can both practice our second language with a native speaker. Jesús is a really nice man from, of all places, La Rioja. He lives in a small town between Haro and Legrono so I will be able to meet him and his family when I visit my friend Arancha in the summer. As I hope to do my Erasmus in Logrono, I couldn't have found a better person for my Intercambio. It's a really small world! Speaking Spanish in the 'real world' seems to have unlocked my reluctance to speak it in class. Chatting with Jesús is like being in the pub in Conchar or a cafe in Durcal - and boy am I 'homesick' for Spain!

Oh well, less than four weeks before this semester is over and it won't be long before I'm sipping Cava in the sun again :-)

What else has been going on? Well, have got myself some work doing typing and proofing for a couple of M.A. students. It does eat a bit into my study time but will last all summer (on and off) and I can advertise for more work next month. It's nice doing my old job again - the only drawback is that I've had to cut short my nails again. LOL

Must comment on the huge change that has come over campus. The fine weather has tempted people to sit out again but the atmosphere has completely changed from September. The high-jinx are over and students sit alone reading or in small groups, talking seriously about work. Even the guitar players are muted. It's as if we've all grown up a lot over the past few months and the impending exams are being taken far more seriously than the pre-Christmas ones.

Just wait until April 15th - we First Years are going to celebrate big time! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Good news about your "Intercambio"! It's good isn't it to speak Spanish to a native speaker. I had one too and we became really good friends.

    ReplyDelete