Monday, November 8, 2010

Piling on the pressure


Time to get really serious now we are in the second half of the semester. Essay titles are being handed out and in tutorials and lectures we are being told the topics that are most important for the exams. This evening got the date and location for a Spanish culture exam on December 2nd! There is no let-up from now until the end of term.

Going to do my best to get cracking on - and finish - the Celtic Civ essay this week (in addition to TWO Spanish essays due over the next few days). That will give me time to get to grips with the Philosophy essay the following week and, once that is done, we should have done enough in Poetry to make a start on English essay II.

On a brighter note, the courses are beginning to become a little easier to understand as we learn more and the subject-matter starts to form part of a cohesive whole. Celtic Civ (apart from the wonderful Wednesday morning lectures) will always be a matter of waffling about the few facts that we have been given. If I can't do well in 'waffle' it will be surprising LOL! Philosophy is certainly extremely interesting and I'm loving the module on 'Personal Identity'. Discovered today that I'm definitely a fan of Locke - at least his theories of human identity. An excellent tutorial today, plus an amazing insight by one of the class, has helped me to make sense of Descartes at last, so at least an exam question on his Meditations will be do-able.

Had a chat with one of the other mature students today. I usually see him head down over a pile of books in the reading room and he seems to be looking more morose by the day. He told me he is finding the workload too much (we are doing three of the same courses) and seems totally negative about the exams. Wish I could have cheered him up a bit.

Of course, life isn't all serious. For the first time wore my football shirt to college to celebrate Liverpool's win over Chelsea yesterday :-) As half of the text we read in Spanish class today was about Maradona, it was pretty apt and, even when returning books to the library, my top initiated lots of comment and craic. I know, I'm always going to be a football hooligan!

The rest of this week is going to have plenty of extra-curricular activity: It's music week; there's a special FanSci meeting on Wednesday and a Pokemon day on Thursday. Lots of other stuff going on as well, of course, so will probably be spending time on campus every evening.

I think I'm getting the balance right - working steadily and having fun too - it's keeping the pressure at bay and preventing me from blowing a gasket!

No comments:

Post a Comment